I was reading Psalm 116 and in the first nine verses this is what I learned about the Lord:
- He hears my voice. My voice. He hears it! (v1)
- He bends down to listen. He wants to hear me clearly so He comes close to me.(v2)
- He is kind, good, merciful to me. (v5)
- He protects me when my faith is childlike and has saved me from death. (v6)
- He lets me rest and is good to me. (v7)
- He saves me from death, tears, stumbling. (v8)
All of the above is amazing. It humbles me. Who am I to deserve all this attention from God? I don’t always speak to Him with quiet reverence. Sometimes, I shout in anger or whine and complain. Still, He bends down to listen to me.
He is kind, good, and merciful to me though more often than not I deserve a good thrashing. He protects me in spite of my lack of pure faith and He has redeemed me so I will live though death is what I should expect. He gives me rest when I am weary of the realities of today. He gives me life, wipes away my tears, and keeps me from falling away from Him. He does all this for me though I am not worthy.